RDF kills 3 assailants as others fled into Burundi
Written by: Administrator
Tuesday, December 18th, 2018, 2:47
The Minister for the East African Community Affairs, Olivier Nduhungirehe has today said that the Rwanda Defense Forces (RDF) have killed three of the assailants who killed two and injured eight civilians by torching three passenger service vehicles during the Saturday attack on Rwanda’s Southern border district of Nyamagabe.
The attackers had entered into Nyungwe forest which straddles Rwanda and Burundi.
#RDF engaged and killed three of the fleeing assailants and the rest escaped into #Burundi", Olivier Nduhungirehe tweeted today.
RDF Spokesperson, Lt. Col. Innocent Munyengango in a statement confirmed the death of the three attackers and said the rest fled into neighbouring Burundi. RDF also rescued civilians.
“The RDF engaged and killed three of the fleeing assailants and the rest escaped into Burundi. We have also rescued all the civilians that the assailants attempted to abduct, some received counseling before being sent home. We also recovered several items stolen from victims but many of them had been destroyed. Of the civilians injured in the Saturday attack and undergoing treatment, two have died from their injuries,” said Lt. Col. Munyengango in a statement.
Relations between Burundi and Rwanda cooled since 2015 following Burundi’s baseless accusations against Rwanda.
According to the recent letter Burundian President Pierre Nkuruziza wrote to the EAC Chair, President Yoweri Museveni in which Burundi accuses Rwanda of aggression by preparing and supervising a coup in 2015 as well as violation of its airspace.
President Paul Kagame recently said that his country had experienced all kinds of provocation from the Bujumbura regime and had not fallen for that.
“We have had all kinds of provocation from Burundi and we have not fallen for that,” said President Kagame on Friday at a news conference in the capital Kigali.