Rwanda exhumes over 18,000 killed in 1994 genocide
Written by: Administrator
Wednesday, September 19th, 2018, 3:36
A total of 18, 529 have so far been exhumed since the ongoing exercise of exhuming the remains of the victims of genocide started on April11this year. The bodies are temporarily kept at Nyanza Genocide Site in Kicukiro District, Theogene Kabagambire, an official of IBUKA at Gasabo District told The Light Magazine.
Kabagambire confirmed that mass graves dating back to the 1994 genocide against the Tutsi were recently discovered in the capital Kigali with 20 in Rusoro Sector of Gasabo District
“At Kabeza village of Rusororo Sector where three residential houses have so far been demolished following tip-offs, we found 20 mass graves on top of which the houses had been built. There were 8 beneath one house while the other two houses sat on 7 and 5 mass graves respectively,” said Kabagambire.
Kabagambire said they expected between 15,000 and 25,000 victims depending on the information they had gathered, adding that all the tip-offs except one have been accurate.
“All the people who gave us information on the existence of mass graves were right except one person,” he added.
They have so far exhumed 13,081 from the Gasabo mass graves while 5,448 were recovered from the mass graves in Masaka, Kicukiro District.
IBUKA plans to accord the victims decent burial during next year’s genocide commemoration at Nyanza Genocide Memorial if they don’t find another place, the official said.
IBUKA says the stunning discoveries are a setback on the efforts to unite the Rwandan people because people could not reveal the information about the mass graves for 24 years now, yet they were found in residential areas.